Re: still stuck and no gnome anymore

On Sat, 23 Mar 2002, Bryan W. Headley wrote:
hi brian

first let me say that i spent a long time yesterday going round and round
with dselect... all but three packages are now installed and configured.

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of abiword-gtk:
 abiword-gtk depends on abiword-common; however:
  Package abiword-common is not installed.
dpkg: error processing abiword-gtk (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libgwrapguile-dev:
 libgwrapguile-dev depends on libgwrapguile1 (= 1.1.11-5); however:
  Package libgwrapguile1 is not installed.
dpkg: error processing libgwrapguile-dev (--configure):
Setting up libpspell-ispell1 (0.12-4) ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libpspell-ispell1.postinst: pspell-config: command not
found
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libpspell-ispell1.postinst: ./make-ispell-pwli: No such
file or directory
dpkg: error processing libpspell-ispell1 (--configure):

 abiword-gtk
 libgwrapguile-dev
 libpspell-ispell1

i must have been around the install loop a dozen times.
that finally cleared out the previously long list of uninstalled packages.

> Little parade...

arn't perceptions interesting?

> Okay, let's look at your /etc/alternatives directory.
>
> ls -l x-*
>
> Mine reads,
>
> [cut] x-session-manager -> /usr/bin/gnome-session
> [cut] x-window-manager -> /usr/bin/sawfish
>
> [cut] means I didn't paste it over. I'm only concerned with
> x-session-manager and x-window-manager. Actually, I'm less concerned
> with x-window-manager, because you might have "enlightenment" or
> "metacity" or one of the 'x'Step window managers. I don't care; is
> "gnome-session" your x-session-manager?

bilbo:/etc/alternatives>> ll x-* | less
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           22 Mar 24 11:32 x-session-manager
-> /usr/bin/gnome-session*
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           16 Mar 24 11:33 x-window-manager
-> /usr/bin/sawfish*
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           32 Mar 15 14:42
x-window-manager.1.gz -> /usr/X11R6/man/man1/wmaker.1x.gz
(END)

> Now, let's go to /etc/X11. Do,
>
> 	cat default-display-manager
bilbo:/etc/X11>> cat default-display-manager
/usr/bin/gdm

> Mine sez,
>
> 	/usr/bin/gdm
>
> yours? If not, become root, bring up vi, emacs, or whatever, and fix.
>
> BTW, did you get the rest of the gnome packages to install via dselect?
> All unpacked, installed, configured? Are you sure? Let's find out. Bring
> up dselect, just choose option 3, and see if it configures/installs
> anything. If it does, that's actually a good sign. Means it left stuff
> unconfigured after it figured out gnome-core was bad.

> Now, are any of the ximian gnome packages still out there?
>
> (you are still root)
> 	cd /var/lib/dpkg/info
> 	ls *ximian*
ximian-doorman.list      ximian-faq.prerm       ximian-north.postinst
ximian-utils.md5sums
ximian-doorman.md5sums   ximian-menus.list      ximian-north.prerm
ximian-utils.postinst
ximian-doorman.postinst  ximian-menus.md5sums   ximian-south.list
ximian-utils.prerm
ximian-doorman.prerm     ximian-menus.postinst  ximian-south.md5sums
ximian-wallpapers.list
ximian-faq.list          ximian-menus.prerm     ximian-south.postinst
ximian-wallpapers.md5sums
ximian-faq.md5sums       ximian-north.list      ximian-south.prerm
ximian-wallpapers.postinst
ximian-faq.postinst      ximian-north.md5sums   ximian-utils.list
ximian-wallpapers.prerm

> Anybody? Because I get the impression that you are trying to overwrite
> all the ximian stuffage, right? If so, and some are still there, whew!
> Removal is called for. I'm hoping re-running dselect fixed your wagon,
> because this is surgery. I'm not giving you the knife without seeing the
> patient first.

i am not clear.  i was hoping for a ximian-gnome desktop.

> Let's bring gnome up the "right" way after all this hackery.
>
> 	(you are still root)
> 	cd /etc/init.d
> 	./gdm stop; exec ./gdm start
>
> 	(stand back. Gnome login panel & X Server should appear)
this is interesting.
when i do that on the actual machine, it sez:
Stopping GNOME Display Manager: gdm.
Starting GNOME Display Manager: gdm.

and then gives me a console login (no X)

if i do it from ssh (got two machines side by each)

then it puts the gdm login box on the target machine, but that just
continues as usual: box -> login -> flash -> box.....

i no longer get the "starting gnome" box (the one with the parade)

> Advise if patient requires further hackery :-)

i am sure that this machine is just a little messed up.  none of the three
packages have anything to do with running x... i am not sure about
gnome-session.  i remember seeing deselect complain about it in the past.

thanks so much

dave

--
Dave Mallery, K5EN  (r/h 7.2 krud; debian woody+ximian)
PO Box 520

no gates                     .~.
  no windows...              /V\
                            /( )\
running GNU/Linux           ^^-^^  (Linux TM Linus Torvalds)
  free at last!