Setting up virtual users on Courier IMAP?

Any tips on getting Courier IMAP to use virtual users? I'm using Debian Woody with Postfix as my MTA.

My understanding is that to use virtual users, you need to setup userdb as the authentication method. I did this by changing the authdaemon rc. This works for logging in to the IMAP server, but, unfortunately, I cannot get maildrop to deliver to mailboxes. I think this is because the packaged courier-maildrop (or maildrop) is not compiled with userdb support. So I recompiled but when I tried "./configure --with-db=gdbm --enable-userdb" it says it can't find gdbm, even though libgdbm.so is in /usr/lib (right next to libdb.so; the weird thing is that --with-
db=db works).

Before I go and try recompiling everything from source I thought I'd ask if anyone had any ideas on how to get the packaged pieces to support virtual users. Also, if I do recompile, do I need to recompile everything, or just the courier-authdaemon? It'd be nice if I could just compile a piece ...

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jen

P.S. I thought I sent this message to the list, but I can't find my message anywhere, so here it goes again ...