Re: solution for GMT and ps2epsi

On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 10:34:51AM +0100, Malte Thoma wrote:
> I have found a solution for the problem.
>
> the debian 'gs' package contains
>  >gs -v
>  >GNU Ghostscript 6.53 (2002-02-13)
>  >Copyright (C) 2002 artofcode LLC, Benicia, CA. All rights reserved.
>
> which is NOT compatible to the postscript code GMT creates
> the debian 'gs-aladdin' package contains
>  >gs -v
>  >AFPL Ghostscript 7.00 (2001-04-08)
>  >Copyright (C) 2001 artofcode LLC, Benicia, CA.  All rights reserved.
>
> if you install 'gs-aladdin' instead of 'gs'
> 1. ps2epsi works and
> 2. the problem descriped at the bottom of this page disappears
>
> ... but I still do nit understand the reason.
> Is the aladdin-gs 'better' than the GNU-Version?

> > John Kuhn wrote:
> >>
> >>psxy -R-180/180/-90/90 -JN0/15 -Sc0.15 -G0 << END > my.ps
> >>2.5      52.5
> >>END

This really is a bug in GMT, not a questions of which gs is better.  For
your example, and many variations, including the small example above,
GMT is producing incorrect PostScript.  For some variations of your example
using a certain version of gs, it might display as you expect, but the
PostScript is still incorrect.  If you look at the PostScript output from
the above expample you will see a few "near MAX_INTs" in the output (search
for 21474).  These are incorrect.  The authors of GMT are now aware of the
problem and are working on a patch.

John