Re: still stuck and no gnome anymore

dave mallery <dmallery@cia-g.com> writes:

> On 23 Mar 2002, Glyn Millington wrote:
> >
> > Just download the gnome-core deb
> >
> > then load it in with dpkg
> >
> > dpkg --force-overwrite -i gnome-core_1.4.0.6-2_i386.deb
>

> after the above, still no gnome... no X, only the login box
>
> also tried the above with gnome-help-data, but no cigar.
>
> am now profoundly lost.

Are  you still lost or have you cracked it?

Forgive me - I've cleared out the earlier posts!  What exactly do you get
when you try to start X  ?  Do you have an .xinitrc or an .xsession file
in your home directory and would you mind posting it?

You appear to be mixing Debian and Ximian components in your Gnome setup
- maybe someone else here knows if that is A Good Thing (TM)?

Glyn

--
Debian Home       http://www.debian.org
Debian Planet     http://www.debianplanet.org/