Re: I want a linux internet connection going thru a win98 box:how??

On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 10:08:51PM -0800, tony brito wrote:
> Hello I  am a new linux user
>
> I use netzero as my ISP and pay 9.95 per month!
> netzero is installed on my win98 box.
> I use a modem for dial-up service to netzero.
>
> I also have both my linux box and win98 connected with
>  an Ethernet card.
>
> Is there a way I can dial up to netzero using my win98
> box, Then go to my linux box create an internet
> connection succesffully. (e.g. open netscape and go to
> www.debian.org from my linux box)

Yes, prividing your win98 box is running win98 second edition,
you can use Microsofts's internet connection sharing program.
It highly dodgy, a pain to set up, has stupid defaults and
generally drives people insane, but if you're persistant it
does work.

Once you have it set up on the windows side, just set your
linux default gateway to the ip address of your win98 box.
ICS also runs a name server of sorts, so you can point
to it for your dns as well.

it will auto-dial and I'm not sure if you can have this off or
not

If you're not running win98se, there are a few 3rd party apps
which do the same thing (probably better)

cheers

dc

--
David Purton