Gnome sound not working, how to troubleshoot?

I'm seting up 2 machines, both have working sound, using mp3blaster
for instance.

However niether on iringaly had working sounds from Gnome sessions.

A helpful list member sugested setting esd to SUID root.

This cured the problem on one, but not the other.

I can run esd as a user, and I get the startup beeps/ I've checked mixer
levels, and they are all set to max. Still no Gnome sounds on the second mahcine.

Where do I go from here?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin