sawfish and gnome-panel

I run an up-to-date version of Debian sid. My window-manager is
sawfish. I don't use all of Gnome, but I use one piece of
it---gnome-panel and some associated applications.

This combination has served me extremely well but after a recent
upgrade I get an error from the desktop guide applet (the pager) when
I start X. The error-message says that I am not running a
gnome-compliant window manager (sawfish?). And indeed the pager is not
working as it did---it refuses to display more than one workspace.

Does anyone know what caused the change or how I might get the old
behaviour back?

Thanks very much,

Jim