Re: Acroread not displaying menu text -Solved-

>> James
>>
>> Just done some testing and this proplem only occurs in KDE.
>> It works fine in Gnome (with Sawfish) or in WindowMaker.
>> Still don't know how to fix it in KDE though ...
>>
>I had this problem and I fixed it by adjusting the order of my font
>paths in X.  KDE may change this when using anti-aliased fonts.
>
>Jamie

Hi

Much to my embressment its turned out that this non-display of menu
text was caused by me inadvertly setting the desktop font in my XFce
setup dialog window to:

-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal-*-12-*-*-*-p-*-iso10646-1

when it should have been

-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal-*-*-120-*-*-p-*-iso8859-2

Needless to say when this problem happened I charged off thinking the
solution would involve the hand editing of a cryptic config file in
some obscure corner of my Debian system. When in fact the solution
was literally sitting in front of me on my desktop.

Anyway lesson learn't for next time (hopefully) and thanks for the
advice and suggestions.

Further to the comments wondering why I was using arcoread considering
the recent legal behavior of Adobe (looking at the above I probably should
stop using their fonts). Unfortunately part of my work is checking pdfs
created by Adobe distiller to be principally viewed using Adobe
Acrobat reader. This involves checking the bookmark tree and the
thumbnail images which I understand can not be viewed on any current
Linux pdf viewer. If and when a viewer became available with these
features (Xpdf looks encouraging) I would be only too happy to change.

James

--
Personalised email by http://another.com