Re: Open Office in unstable?

 --- Coen De Roover <cderoove@vub.ac.be> wrote: > Hi,

> I haven't tried those packages yet, but wasn't
> succesful in installing
> OpenOffice using the installer from
> www.openoffice.org:
> it opened two full size windows (one blue and one
> gray) and displayed a
> textless message box with two buttons (OK and
> Cancel, I presume since no
> text was visible). Any attempts to continue the
> installation from that
> point failed.
>
> However, some of my friends (who're also using
> Woody) don't have this
> problem.
>
> Solutions are welcome :)

I had a problem installing the latest version of
OpenOffice (641c).  I use Window Maker as my window
manager and for some reason OpenOffice would not
install.  Don't ask me why but I tried to install it
under Gnome and hey presto it worked.

That was good but I am not a fan of Microsoft desktop
look-a-likes so I recompiled Window Maker using a deb
source package making sure Gnome support was compiled
in.  Hey presto OpenOffice started working under
Window Maker. I can only assume Sun has started
intergrating StarOffice into Gnome like they said they
would when the Gnome Club, or whatever it is called,
was formed.

Anyways, hope this helps.

Cheers Geoff

- Vote for your nominees in our online Oscars pool.