mouse problems after switching to Woody

Rather than go into a lot of detail on my problems, I would prefer to get
a reliable reference to a comprehensive discussion about the installation
and trouble shooting of mice.  I am currently using Woody (Debian 3.0), a
ps/2 modem, AMD 500 Mhz cpu -- in other words, nothing very unusual or
fancy.

If no good reference exists, can some computer science or engineering
instructor suggest this topic to one of their more adventurous students as
a term project, or even as a Masters thesis.  By the way, I don't
understand why many exchanges on the Debian lists refer to unpredictable
mouse problems from unknown sources:  Are mice and their software really
stochastic machines, or are those people merely as ignorant as I am
(which is very)?

Thanks for any help.

sam