Re: Broken /proc? [SOLVED}

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002 10:08:12 -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:

>So:  mount an additional proc filesystem and compare contents,
>particularly your secondary proc's 'mounts' file:
>
>    $ mkdir /proc2
>    $ mount -t proc proc /proc2
>    $ cat /proc2/mounts
>    <etc>
>    $ umount /proc2; rmdir /proc2

Ahhh... Excellent tip.. I had not even considered this.

>> Once I did a rm -r on the fake /proc all was well.  So I guess the
>> moral is don't trust the output of 'mount' if things are flaky or at
>> least cross check it with /etc/mtab.
>
>In general, if you're not sure of /proc's status or your root
>partition's writeability, neither the 'mount' command, /etc/mtab, nor
>/proc/mounts are going to be trustworthy.

However, the fact that they were different tipped me off that
_something_ was bogus and that I could not trust what mount was
telling me.  So the fact they are different is a clue to investigate
further.  But I'll note the above.  The only true way to cross check
it to mount a new procfs and take a look.  Excellent advice.

--
Richard A. Smith                         Bitworks, Inc.
rsmith@bitworks.com               501.846.5777 x204