Re: Mail clients (and text editors)

> Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 21:38:37 -0800
> From: Bill Moseley <moseley@hank.org>

[snip]
> . . . Like many, I'm coming from a Windows environment.  I've got
> three linux machines under my desk and for a year now I've booted Win98
> used basically only browsers and Eudora (3.0) on my Win98 machine . . .

> So, to start off with, I'm looking to make the transition to full-time
Linux easy by finding similar tools to I'm used to using.
[snip]

Similarities can be confusing.  Maybe -- maybe -- you'd do better
to accept differences, even seek them out.

Example:  Some of the basic commands in Unix resemble those in the
WinDOSe
world, & I'm told that some users try to speed learning by aliasing rm
to del & so on.  However, Unix is _not_ DOS, & after the first dozen
commands or so things just don't work the same.

Another: vi.  It seems that many users are revolted by its modal
character -- its refusal to behave like Word.  But black & white are
easier to distinguish precisely because there are no shades of grey.

I realize that purely personal preferences may prevail, & what works
for me may not work for you.  Just so we keep in mind that such
things can be turned wrong side out.