Re: [OT] Price / performance & Software RAID / Hardware RAID / IDE / SCSI

hi ya "o polite"

raid0(striping) or raid5 is faster on reads... and generally slower
on writes... 2x or 5x more disks to write into... more
additional parity calculations

it'd help if you can specify your budget and/or disk capacity
requirements or "purpose of the raid" system...

	raid is good for lots of huge/gigantic 4GB-40GB files where
	you need lots of disks space...

For scsi vs ide  stuff...
	http://www.Linux-1U.net/Disks/

For which hardware raid cards are "really hw raid5"...
	http://www.linux-ide.org/chipsets.html

For a collection of of various software raid howto ...
	http://www.1U-Raid5.net/HowTo/SW-Raid-HOWTO.txt

---------

your comparson should be software ide vs software scsi...
	think scsi disks will generally win

if your comparason is ide hw raid vs scsi hw raid...
	think scsi disks will generally win

you could compare software ide vs software scsi..
	but why ???
	ide vs scsi is sorta scsi will inw

-- to measure all the performance differences...
	- use bonnie, tiobench, ms winbench etc..

scsi is lot more expensive ???

$400	160GB IDE - 5400 rpm
$3,000	180GB scsi3 -10,000 rpm

$ 110 	40GB ide - 7200 rpm
$ 400	36GB scsi-3 - 10,000 rpm

you'd need/want at least 4 disks 6 disks is prefered ( by me )
- 1 for system... ( amnot worried about system that is already on cdrom )
- 5 disks for data...

and you'd need to backup your raid data... if you lose one disk..
you can recover all yur data...
	- if you lose 2 disks of 5... you'd probably lose all 5x200GB ofdata

for software raid.. you'd probably want to get lots o memory...

for some cheap hardware raid... is just as fast to go with software raid

$ 40	Promise/maxtor IDE controllers
$ 200 - $500	hardware IDE controllers
$ 440 - $1000	hardware scsi controllers ...

have fun raiding
alvin
http://www.1U-raid5.net .... 8x 160GB ide diss -->> 1.28TB raw 1U-Raid5