CUPS and enscript

I'm in the process of migrating several systems from lpd to CUPS and
it's going pretty well aside from one detail:  lpd has its if= in
printcap, which provides an easy hook for throwing enscript filters
into the printing process.  I haven't been able to find an equivalent
hook in CUPS.

Where can I find information on doing this?  (And, for that matter,
where is the lpd network protocol described?  I'm also running into
problems with network-attached printers acting up and it might be
useful to examine them at that level.)

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss