Re: problem installing debian

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 11:31:41PM -0000, David S wrote:
:Hi, I recently got a copy of debian 2.2r4 through one of the official vendors on the debian website and i'm having trouble accessing the x window system
:
:this is the error message i get when initx or startx command is used:
:
:_exec of usr/bin/x11/xf86_NONE failed
:_x11transSocketUNIXConnect can't connect: errno= (111)
:giving up
:xinit:connection refused (errno 111) unable to connect to xserver
:no such process (errno 3) server error

Hmmm, your *first* problem is that XFree86 isn't installed

:I've heard about problems with the geforce2 mx400/linux and since using this card have had trouble using graphics with other distros as well (mandrake, suse)

Your *second* problem is that XFree86 version 3.3.x doesn't support your
video card and "stable" doesn't have version 4.x yet.

Fear not, you can add the following lines to /etc/apt/sources.list :

########################
# XFree86 v4.x support #
########################
deb http://people.debian.org/~cpbotha/ xf410_potato/i386/
deb http://people.debian.org/~cpbotha/ xf410_potato/all/

then as root:
apt-get update
apt-get install xserver-xfree86 xbase-clients xutils xterm xprt

I'm not sure you need to specify all of those, some may be pulled in
as dependencies but being explicit can't hurt.

your *third* problem will be getting the /etc/XF86Config-4 file right,
if the tools don't do the magic for you, email me directly and I'll
send a base config that should work ok (though probably not to the
full capacity of your monitor).  I support alot of systems with nVidia
cards so I have a generic config lying around

your *fourth* problem will be getting hardware 3D acceleration
working.  In the testing branch there's some wrapper .debs for pulling
in the non-redistributable nVidia kernel module and OpenGL libraries,
but I have a howto (not the best, but a start) at:

http://www.ai.mit.edu/lab/sysadmin/debian/nvidia.html

Sweet system, though perhaps a little bleeding edge for Debian
"stable" near the end (I hope :) of a release cycle.

HTH,
-Jon