X11 Mouse Config

Okay, my first dumb question.

Has X installed and working fine, updated some packages, one of which was
"gpm" as I recall.  Now, mouse not working.  Then, ran xf86config and X
won't start at all.  Sigh.

Which program set up X originally?  It was something friendlier than
xf86config.  Yes, I need to take more notes during the installs.

There was a setup program (not xf86config) that I had used during the
install to set the mouse type etc.  It was graphical.  Any clues as to
what that was appreciated.

It will be great when the Debian faq X11 section actually has some text
there...  :-)

Thanks,
--
Don Meyer