Re: acroread crashes

On 02 Dec 2001, Holger Rauch wrote:
> Hi!
>
> When viewing PDFs on a Debian Potato system with Acrobat Reader 4.05, I
> encounter crashes with the following error message:
>
> 	Exited with error code: 0x400e0009.
>
> Something similar happens to me when viewing PDFs from within Netscape
> 4.78 using either the nppdf.so plugin or Acrobat Reader as a "helper
> application". Does anybody have the same problem? If so, what's the cause
> of the problem and what can I do in order to get rid of it?
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> Greetings,
>
> 	Holger

I had a similar problem  and it turned out to be because I was using
color depth 24. Setting it to 16 made acroread works.

I sympathize with the comments others have made about alternatives to
acroread but unfortunately xpdf produces ugly jagged text for me and
also doesn't show the titles of the pages, so acroread it has to be for
the moment.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux GNU/Debian (Windows-free zone)
For an electronic book (The Assassins of Alamut), skeptical

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our
obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come
from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. [Carl Sagan]