strange (xkbcomp) message with X

Hi,

I'm new to both Linux and Debian (one has to begin somewhere  :-) ).

I managed to install rev. 4 this weekend.  The base system went smoothly, X
was a bit trickier (the machine is a Thinkpad), but now it works.  However,
every time I start X I get the following (for me) cryptic message:

System: '/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/xkbcomp -w 1 -R/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb -xkm
-m de -em1 "The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:" -emp "> "
-eml "Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server" keymap/xfree86
compiled/xfree86.xkm'

This is the last of a series of messages that are generated when X starts.
Like I said, X does start in spite of this error.  When installing the base
system, I chose the German keyboard layout with no dead keys and when
installing X I chose the German keyboard option.

Does anyone know what this error is and how to correct it?

Thanks a lot,
Christopher Pinon