Problem with mounting CD-ROM

I have a Plextor PlexWriter CDRW/CDROM drive and have
been getting the following error message when
attempting to mount this drive:
(I type: mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/hdc /cdrom)

hdc: packet command error: status=0x51 (DriveReady
SeekComplete Error)
hdc: packet command error: status=0x04
ATAPI device hdc:
     Error: Hardware error --(sense key=0x04)
     Tracking servo failure --(asc=0x09,asq=0x01)
     The failed "Test Unit Ready" packet command was:
"00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00"
mount: No medium found

I know the physical hardware must be working because I
can boot to cdrom Linux boot disk without a problem.