Re: Setting up a bunch of boxen at a small school.

on Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 02:50:32AM +0200, oivvio polite (ol1@v10a.com) wrote:

> I might soon have to set up some 20 - 30 boxes supporting some 200
> students.  They'll want to do word processing, browse the web, read
> mail.

Lots of apps for the above.

GUI:

    text/word processing:
        AbiWord
	KWord
	Lyx
	Xemacs
	StarOffice, that bloated stuck pig of an office suite.
	OpenOffice (free software version of StarOffice)

	I'd strongly recommend introducing students to DocBook and/or
	LaTeX.

    web:
        Galeon
	Konqueror
	Mozilla
	dillo

    mail:
        Sylpheed
	Aileron
	Evolution

	I strongly recommend text/console mail clients, in particular,
	mutt.

Text/Console:

    text/word processing:
        vim/nvi
	emacs, xemacs
	pico

    web:
        w3m
	lynx
	links

    mail:
        mutt
	mh
	Gnus (emacs/xemacs)

	There are many other mail clients, these are some of the best.

> Of course any user should be able to log into his/her account from any
> box.  What are my options here?

NIS will do this for you.  You'll also want NFS to remotely mount user
directories.  This largely reserves the individual workstations as
satellites.  You'll configure them largely identically.

> Have all applications run from a powerful server and use boxen as
> X-terminals, run applications on boxen and store only home dirs on
> server...

The scheme given above allows you to utilize the processing power of the
desktops as well, and will reduce your network load.

> I'm looking for a setup that's easy to admin remotely and involves
> zero fiddling with the individual boxen.

Zero fiddling is hard to get, remote admin is eminantly possible.  If
you *do* want to set up diskless X terminals, there are HOWTOs for this.

> All ideas are interesting but some ideas (that have actually been
> implemented and proven to work on a day-to-day basis) are more
> interesting.

Aye, there's the rub.

Peace.

   Free Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA!  http://www.freesklyarov.org