Re: latex docu

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 10:21:36PM +0100, Frank Zimmermann wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to learn LaTex. therefore I wnted to read the Latex docu
> under /usr/share/doc/texmf/general/latex2e.dvi.gz. Konqueror can't
> open the file and the only way I've been able to read it so far is to
> copy it to my home directory, unzip it and read display the .dvi file.
> But I don't beleave this is way how to read a documentation. How do I
> read it without all that hassle?

Some suggestions.  Try

texdoc /usr/share/doc/texmf/latex/general/latex2e

It would seem that

texdoc latex2e

should be sufficient but that doesn't work for me.  Note the lack of the
.dvi.gz ending.  Should you want a man page to consult the stable
distribution does not have one so look at

http://www.eskimo.com/~c/debian/tetex-manpages/

Searching the debian-user and debian-tetex-maint mailing lists with
`dvi' and `xdvi' is informative.  Look for a recent thread (March 2001)
entitled `gzipped dvi's'.

Alternatively, give

see /usr/share/doc/texmf/latex/general/latex2e.dvi.gz

a go.

Brian.