Re: Help: DVDs players and Linux

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 06:50:21PM +0100, Pedro Neves wrote:
> Hi:
> How come DVD playing in Linux is illegal?
> Is there any place where I can get more info about this?

It is only illegal for those residing in the U.S. and other oppressive
countries.

There are two issues, the DMCA law, which is evil, but it (at least for
now) is the law and the issue of CSS (the encryption scheme used for
DVDs) trade secrets.

Search on DeCSS and DCMA and you'll find more information than your
stomach can handle.