Re: Problem posting with trn

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 10:13:40PM -0500, Jor-el wrote:
> 	On this theory that this was a bug, I did dpkg --purge of all news
> and trn related stuff I installed, and then installed inewsinn first
> before installing trn. Lo and behold, things started to work right
> away. Even then there were a number of bugs that I noted - the
> /etc/news/innd.conf file was being ignored - the values for the
> ORGANIZATION and NNTPSERVER were being read from the /etc/news/server and
> /etc/news/organization files - thus contradicting the documentation in the
> inews man page.

It's possible, I suppose, that they weren't being passed through trn
correctly. (Try forking a shell from your editor while editing a news
article and seeing if they're set there.) Without closer inspecion, it's
hard to say.

Incidentally, my inews man page says nothing about NNTPSERVER or
ORGANIZATION. Are you sure trn isn't setting them itself? I forget
exactly what way Debian's trn 3.6 package is compiled.

> 	Now, however, I've come across some rather annoying Pnews (isnt
> that still the news injector, or is it 'inews' when inewsinn is
> installed?).

Pnews is a news posting agent, which talks to some variant of the news
injector, inews.

> Here is what I got when I was replying to a newsgroup posting
> and I used the 'F' (quote original when replying) command :
>
> Check spelling, Send, Abort, Edit, or List? s
> Article not posted -- more included text than new text
> (Article not posted.)
>
> 	Garrh! I dont need a program to act like a grandmother. Is there
> anything I can do to turn off this behaviour (ah-ha! British spelling
> again!).

That could either be inews or your server. In the first case, you have
the option of recompiling inewsinn, editing include/configdata.h first
to undefine DO_CHECK_INCLUDED_TEXT. Otherwise, you get to trim down your
quoting.

Cheers,