kernel compilation & LILO

Hi,

Yesterday I had an interesting conversation with someone on the #debian
IRC channel re: compiling a custom kernel. He urged me to add the
following lines to my /etc/lilo.conf file:

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17
label=prev2217

... and make sure I could boot the system from this choice. It worked
fine.

Now I am slogging through the documentation on kernel-package, prepping to
compile 2.4.8. To make matters short, I guess I'd like to know: given this
[working] addition to /etc/lilo.conf, should I be relatively safe to go
ahead and futz? Of course I'll keep reading and prep best I can, but
experience tells me I usually flub *something* and I'd like to make sure I
can get back to trusty my 2.2.17 before going much further.

Thanks,

http://www.burningclown.com
"Everyone's Portal to Nothing At All"