Re: problems in upgrading xdm from potato to woody.

On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 02:26:58AM -0000, marcos@inf.ufpr.br wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Please, if I'm in the wrong address, may you point to the
> good one?

In the future, please direct questions like this to the debian-user
mailing list.

> I have a big problem in upgrading xdm from potato to woody
> in the binary_i386 version of it.
>
> In my local network, I have several X-terminals which use
> "X -indirect xdmserver" option. After the dist-upgrade
> procedure, the clients no longer have the menu, because
> the chooser is not found. The message saids /chooser is
> not found.
>
> I tried to add the option in command line telling xdm where
> the chooser was, but the only thing I could do to fix
> the problem was to add a soft link:
>
> ln -s /usr/bin/X11/chooser /chooser ( in the root ! )

You should probably customize the /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config file.

xdm(1) says:

       DisplayManager.DISPLAY.chooser
	      Specifies the program run to offer a host menu for
	      Indirect queries redirected to the special host name
	      CHOOSER.  <XRoot>/lib/X11/xdm/chooser is the default.  See
	      the sections XDMCP Access Control and Chooser.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    The errors of great men are
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    venerable because they are more