Re: Help! All thumbs with prosper and/or seminar.sty in LaTeX

On 03 Aug 2001, Glen Snyder wrote:
> I've tried a number of examples of both the prosper and the seminar
> style on the debian woody distibution.  I think the problem has to do
> with page rotations, somehow.
>
> With prosper:
> I cannot create a pdf with dvipdfm, the image is just white with tkdvi
> or xgdvi. I can use a2ps and I get a postcript where the bounding box is
> off ,the image is upside down, and all of the nice tone changes that are
> supposed to be in the slide background  are rendered as broad colored
> streaks.  The only error I with a2ps is ignoring special PS operator
> "SDict"
>
> With seminar
> I've made some progress. tkdvi shows the first page ok, but the framing
> is wrong and as soon as I move to another page everything is jumbled up,
> even when I move back to the first. xgdvi shows the text, although the
> framing is messed up, as is the page centering. Fortunately, dvipdfm
> works fine and I can create pdf slides.  LaTex will not make a dvi if I
> try to convert pages to portrait form....it just works with landscape
> for me.
>
> So I guess I'll go with landscape seminar pdfs. I am curious why all of
> the others don't work, since I have not had problems with "article"
> class documents before. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Glen

I haven't used seminar.sty but I've just made about 100 slides with
prosper, with no difficulty. However, they can only be seen with
acroread, not xdvi.

The steps are as follows.

1. make the slides with Latex, using the Prosper preamble@

	\documentclass[pdf, blinds, slideColor,colorBG,azure,]{prosper}
	\title{ }
	\subtitle{  }
	\author{  }
	\usepackage{epsfig}
	\begin{document}
	\maketitle

	\begin{slide}{   }

	\end{slide}
	\end{document}

2. make a foo.ps file:
	dvips -f foo.dvi > foo.ps

3. make this into pdf
	pdf2latex foo.ps foo.pdf

That's all there is to it. Make sure you use pdf2latex to convert the
slides; other programs don't seem to work.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Debian GNU/Linux (Windows-free zone).
For electronic books (Homeomythology and The Assassins of Alamut), skeptical

Le style est l'homme meme. (Style is the man himself.)
                                              [Buffon]