Re: harsher kill than kill -9 ?

The `D' tells you that the process is in an uninterruptible disk wait state. This can only be caused by a kernel problem with the i/o routines, a filesystem problem, or a device driver problem. There really isn't anything you can do but restart the machine to get rid of that process unless you're lucky enough to have it return from it's wait (not likely).

For some explanation, a problem like this is caused when an application tries to read/write from disk, but the i/o call never returns, and it doesn't result in a timeout either. `kill -9', as most of you know, is used to send SIGKILL to a process. The SIGKILL signal can not be blocked, ignored, or handled by an application in any way, which means that once your application receives a SIGKILL, it's done for. The reason it doesn't work in this situation, however, is that the program needs to accept the signal that's trying to be sent first. It can't do this while it's waiting to return from it's disk activity.

If you'd like something to read, check out "Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment" (Stevens 1992). It's got some very useful information regarding signals and how they're handled.

-David Fuchs