Re: Time to fight for our beloved DEB format!

Assuming your not trolling... what you need to understand is that the
LSB is really misnamed. It should be called LBPCE (Linux Bindary Package
Compatibility Environment). Its entire purpose is to provide software
vendors a single system specification to which they can release binary
packages. Instead of having, for example, WordPerfect for RedHat,
WordPerfect for Debian, WordPerfect for YourDistributionHere, you simply
have WordPerfect for LSB. It should install on all LSB-compliant
systems. These binary packages will largely be seperate from your
regular package system. LSB changes very little when you use only the
free/open-source packages that come with your distribution. Why they
don't rename LSB or put a huge disclaimer on the web site is beyond me.
It would save a lot of confusion. (Actually, I notice their web page
does have a pretty good explanation if people bother to read it.)

Tim

--
Timothy H. Keitt
Department of Ecology and Evolution