Re: Help: squid on a dial-up machine

On Sat, 02 Jun 2001 17:32:18 EDT, Eugene wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a problem with squid (2.4.1-5) seemingly ignoring the '-D'
> during the startup.
>
> When booting, squid dies because it cannot find nameservers (of
> course! I'm on a dial-up!), despite being told (per man page) to
> "disable initial DNS tests" with the '-D' option.
>
> Any suggestions?

You may want to build a caching-only nameserver on localhost.  I am not
using squid atm, but use a cahing-only nameserver to reduce traffic/
connection times on my dialup link.  It should work w/o problems for
squid. The bind package set up a caching-only nameserver when installed.
There is more info at:

http://localhost/doc/HOWTO/en-html/DNS-HOWTO.html

or

/usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/DNS-HOWTO.txt.gz

if you do not have the HOWTOs installed on you machine, look here:

http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO.html

the setup described in the howto differs somewhat from the debian bind
defaults, but it explains the concepts pretty well.  Read the HOWTO, but
use the defaults, IMHO.

--
Paul T. Wright <paul@cvanet.com>
-currently seeking employment-