Re: I need a windows-linux solution

On Sat, Jun 02, 2001 at 10:06:17PM -0400, Brian Schramm wrote:
:I have tried samba but it is aparently blocked at the
:cable co.

Apparently because it doesn't work or because the cable co. said
they're blocking it?

You can use "nmap" to determine if bits on ports 137-9 are filtered
between the hosts (or call the cable co and ask, but the support folks
probably won't understand...)

Just on the winblows side of things:

you are maping the drive (or trying to) by hand
\\cable.host.ip.num\file-system not relying on network neighborhood
which is well um, S*(T.

You have NetBIOS over TCP enabled on the Window$ box.

The share name in samba.conf must be under some # of characters to
work (12 or 14), it took me three weeks to findout why I could use 3
out of 4 exports.

That's all my thoughts for now.

I feel your pain,
-Jon