Re: The Info v. Man War of 2001 (was Re: Where do you RTFM ?)

On Tuesday 25 December 2001 16:52 pm, Henrik Enberg wrote:

> But none of the current browsers I'm aware of has the index and
> searching facilities that info has.  When I'm stuck with html
> documentation I'm always extremely annoyed about how hard it is to find
> what I'm looking for.

Me too.   And when I'm stuck with info documentation I am often
extremely annoyed about how hard it is to find what I'm looking for.  I
don't think that is an info vs html issue.  I think it is a problem not of
the document format or protocol, but of the structure of the document
itself.  The problem is not the tool used to produce the document
but the person producing the document.

In defense of info I would say this: it predates html.  AFAIK it was the
first widely known or used hypertext documentation protocol.  In criticism
of info I would say this: it predates html.  AFAICT it hasn't changed a
bit.  We have learned a quite a bit about hypertext since info was
developed.  Info was a marvel in its day, but it is IMHO simply obsolete.

Now I'm not trying to defend html in particular, although well written
html documentation can be very nice to read and quite intuitive to
navigate.  So too can info, for that matter.  I would much prefer well
written, well structured documentation in some more universal format, like
docbook, which can produce output to suit the reader's preference.  Those
who prefer html or postscript or pdf or plain text or even info for that
matter, can read the docs in the format they prefer.  That's what I'd like
to see.

--
Bud Rogers <budr@sirinet.net>
All things in moderation.  And not too much moderation either.