Re: tape drive: Error with sense data

on Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 12:16:22PM -0800, brian r (randomaccess@canada-11.com) wrote:
> Hi,
> I am having problems getting my tape drive working.  Any suggestions?
> Sorry, if I gave to much output.
>
> The command I give:
> 'mt -f /dev/nst0 status'
>
> Error:
> 'st0: Error with sense data: [valid=0] Info fld=0x0, Current st09:00: sense key Illegal Request
> Additional sense indicates Invalid command operation code
> st0: Error with sense data: [valid=0] Info fld=0x0, Current st09:00: sense key Illegal Request
> Additional sense indicates Invalid command operation code
> drive type = Generic SCSI-2 tape
> drive status = 1191182848
> sense key error = 0
> residue count = 0
> file number = 0
> block number = 0
> Tape block size 512 bytes. Density code 0x47 (unknown).
> Soft error count since last status=0
> General status bits on (41010000):
>  BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN'
>

> My modules I am using to access the drive are st and ide-scsi.
> The drive is Seagate TapeStor Travan 20GB IDE which uses formats QIC-3095, QIC-3220.
> The command 'dmesg' shows the tape drive as:
> 'hdd: Seagate ST220000A, ATAPI TAPE drive'

Hmm...

Generally "sense data" errors are Not Good®.  I'd try a cleaning on the
tape.  Other things to check would include your blocksize and buffer
settings.  Google your errors to see what turns up, firmware and other
issues appear to be indicated.

Peace.

We freed Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA! http://www.freesklyarov.org