Re: apt-get/debconf "uninitialized variable" problem

On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 04:19:03PM +0000, java guru wrote:
> 1. The exact message(part of) is as follows..

I'm following up back to the mailing list. I'd rather that other people
had the opportunity to reply as well as me, so please keep the
conversation on the list.

> "uninitialized value in
> /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Cache.pm" and same problem
> repeats with other "pm"s like "Template.pm" etc.

There should be more detail in the error messages, including line
numbers. It would be very useful if you could copy and paste them
word-for-word.

Interestingly, I can't find a Cache.pm in any version of debconf.
Perhaps Joey can make more sense of this, if he's reading.

> 2. The package being configured at the time is
> "debconf" itself. Other package configurations fail as
> they depend on debconf.
>
> 3. Just for your info, I have /usr/share/perl/5.6.1
> and also /usr/share/perl5. I am little confused over
> these "two" separate perl stuff, as someone mentioned
> about debconf problems with perl5.6.1. pl Ignore if
> this info is irrevalent here.

/usr/share/perl/5.6.1 is used by the perl packages themselves, and
/usr/share/perl5 is used by other packages that provide Perl modules.
Don't worry about this.

Cheers,