Re: how do I play divx encoded films on testing?

On Sat, Dec 15, 2001 at 02:05, nate wrote:
> <quote who="Dragos">
> > xine barks about library divxc32.dll !?
> > plaympeg doesn't do anything, and if I try to apt-get smpeg-xmms,
> > it's saying  that it has unmet dependencies depends: libsdl1.2 but
> > it's not instalable; should I upgrade to unstable?
>
> i wouldnt reccomend it..but i would never run unstable so..
>
> i play(and encode) divx  in testing a lot(i don't upgrade
> testing a lot, maybe once every 2 months). go to
> avifile.sourceforge.net and get avifile. it supports
> opendivx too(what i encode in).

You can get the avifile packages from unstable and install them manually
or simply get them with apt-get (what I do):

- add unstable methods to /etc/apt/sources.list
- set your /etc/apt/preferences like this:
Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 900

Package: *
Pin: release o=unstable
Pin-Priority: -10

- apt-get update
- apt-get install avifile-player libavifile0.6
- comment out added methods for unstable in sources.list
- apt-get update (last two, so you do not update all your packages by
  dselect)

However, then you still need the codecs files ...

This works great for me!

Bye, Steffen