Re: free/open documentation formats

Hey, thank you all for your reply.

Regarding PDF/PostScript that was exactly what i was thinking of, the LZW compression. But good to hear it is possible to avoid this compression. Regarding the authoring tools, i am using a selfmade XML format that i transform into XHTML using XSL Templates. Then i want to convert the docs to the target formats by using any html2* tools. I tried DocBook SGML a bit (aren't the HOWTOs written this way?), but it did not meet my fits, a friend working with LaTeX told me about that and i realized this is also not the thing i wanted (although all of them are great formats, i decided to create this custom XML formats to fulfill all my needs, cos i did not only need a good documentation format but also a format that supports some web- and CGI specific issues).

By the way, can create XSLT more than HTML/WML output, mean docs like PDF, RTF (mh...) with evtl. binary data, not only markup languages? Does anyone know?

Thnk you and greetings,

Timo