Re: via82cxxx chipset question

Once in debian galaxy, I heard Cheryl Homiak say

> It's possible this might get more answers on another list, but thought I'd
> try here first.
> I have a via82c597 rev 4 chipset and an Award bios. I have anabled the
> via82cxxx support in my kernel, but perhaps I do not understand what
> numbers to put in on the command line, or for which ide to put them in,
> because no matter what I do a 33mhz bus speed is assumed; if I try putting
> 66 even in I get something about this being impossible.
> I have included part of my dmesg here, and have included enough so you can
> see my setup and a couple of other messages that puzzle me.
> Any help would be appreciated.

33mhz PCI bus speed is correct. Don't bother changing it. I've heard
that someone has tried and has corrupted his HD.

To check the effect try your kernel with and without via ATA support.
check with hdparm -tT /dev/hd? to check for performance gain. When you
have via ATA support, you should be able to get higher performance
trough dma tranfer.

cheers,

Chanop
--