Re: just installed woody and have problem with X install

On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 01:19:47PM -0700, Robinder Bains wrote:

| > Run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 again, and when you get to the
| > section about "Frame Buffer Device" answer "No"
| >
| > Then try to startx again and see if it starts normally.
|
|  O.k now I get this...
|
| (WW) The directory "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc" does not exist.
|  Entry deleted from font path.
... (no fonts exist)

You don't have any fonts packages installed.

| and...
|
| (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
|  No such file or directory.

This device file is used by 2.4 kernels with devfs enabled and USB
mice.

Which kernel do you have?  Are you running potato or woody?

| ...I have a logitech ps/2 scroll wheel mouse.

You want to pick /dev/psaux as the device and "IMPS/2" as the
protocol.

Install the package 'x-window-system'.  It is a dummy package that
depends on a bunch of packages you will need for an X setup.

In particular, some of the packages it depends on are :
    xfonts-base
    xfonts-100dpi
    xfonts-75dpi
    xfonts-scalable

HTH,
-D

--

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own
understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your

        Proverbs 3:5-6