Newbie comments & queries

John & dman,

woah!!

We came to a grinding halt long before consideration of the packages about
which you wish to differ.

I installed via tasksel the 'Dial Up' packages.

All went well until wvdialconf had its turn. No modem detected,  so after 3
tries I left it until later.

Facts:
Microcom Deskporte 28.8P modem was working minutes before I took it into
my hot waiting hands.
The modem is switched on.
The correct light (HS) is on after switchon and initialisation
The modem is connected to the serial port
The serial port is connected to the board and in dos msd reports OK
The phone line is plugged in

Action
am running the command line:
$wvdialconf /etc/wvdialconf

"Sorry, no modem detected. Is it in use by another programme?"
"Did you configure it properly with setserial?"

ditto with more info re AT commands reporting 'nothing' if run at root #

noted at installation maybe need to run setserial, so

#setserial /dev/ttyS0
reports 0x3f8 irq4 and seems ok

#setserial /dev/ttyS1
reports 0x2f8 irq3 and seems OK

.. so no irq conflict.  Also these settings appear on the screen at bootup time

Looked in BIOS and tried settings for onboard serial ports other than
standard with no success.

Plugged in another serial port connector to the board, no success

Tried on S0 (Com1) with no success except different set of lights on modem
after intialisation (The one HS light on with S1 is apparently correct)

I turned the cable connector around on the board, no success.

There is no /dev/modem

I accessed the FAQ at www.worldvision.ca/wvdial  but nothing of any help
there.

Also, the modem is one of those that would connect via a parallel port.  Any
ideas how to do that?

Could this be something with the serial port settings?  If I run set serial with
no switches or device, the info runs off the top of the screen and it cannot be
piped thru 'less' or 'lpr'. Dos msd shows for S0 (COM2) at 2400 baud

Now I am getting desperate, clutching at straws.

A couple of other small frustrations.

The up and down arrows on the keyboard recall previous commands at the
prompt.  Trouble is, the latest ones, as used above, do not survive a reboot,
recalling only older commands. (Used to, I am sure, or where does it get all
my old ls commands from now?)

How do I ensure that it hephaustus (my machine)boots up with Numlock on?

My modemless friend on her way to Florida donated her cat to me.  I must
remember to borrow the vets thick leather gloves on Monday ..... It hisses
everytime I go near it. My male mog stared at it and just walked off, probably
thinking that she is menopausal (male chauvinistic pig that he is).

My hdd on dos machine had a fit and have lost 15 years of addresses and
other data while it was backing up!  Alleyula!

Regards and a plea for help as have switched hephaustus off with not an idea
what to do now.

Ian
    Ian Balchin
    Grahamstown, South Africa.