Re: large mailing lists with mailman

on Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 01:33:59AM -0800, nate (debian-user@aphroland.org) wrote:
> most of my mailing lists are small (10 or less people, a couple have
> 100-200 on it)
>
> couple days ago i added a new list with 2,723 people on it.  i have
> email notifications on for when users are subscribed and unsubscribed.
>
> all users were subscribed within a couple minutes. however its
> taken(taking?) 2 days sofar to send out the notification emails. it
> tends to send them in batches of about 450 or so. about every 12 hours
> ..kind of odd. i would of expected them to come at a more steady pace.
> we have already used the mailing list and have recieved responses so i
> know its working(and the web interface is showing 2723 users on it).
> just wondering if anyone knows what might be causing the system to
> delay notifications for so long.  mail load is nil, i have that
> particular list set to 10 concurrent connections ..mail takes less
> then a half second to process on that system per message...

Suggest you find and read usage manual for your shift key.

Check your mailman and MTA (exim?) settings.

In particular, you want to look at the batchsize and queue-run options.
Could your system be configured only to run queue every 12 hours (this
isn't the default, and seems an odd value to set things to).  What
happens if you do a 'mailq' (as root) while messages are queued up?  Are
they queued in Mailman or in the exim queue?

Peace.