Uprading just one package

Hi,
I am sure there is an answer to this in the docs some where but I have not yet found it.

How do you upgrade a package and its dependencies without bringing everything else along for the ride ?

I would like to upgrade to the version of gnome-pilot in sid, and keep that and its dependencies (and their dependencies) up there. At the same time I want to keep updating my copy of woody without any adverse effects.

From the docs I gather that apt-get can't specifically upgrade one package.

It looks as though dpkg can do it, if I download the debs first and specify by name.

Any help would be appreciated, but a reference to the correct manual would be best. really

--
Eagles may soar, free and proud, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.