Re: changing to Debian from Mandrake

Thus spake Michael Kaminsky (kaminsky@lcs.mit.edu):

>  * One reason I moved to Mandrake from Redhat (from Slackware) is that
>    the packages are extremely up-to-date.  Even the unstable version of
>    Debian seems sorely lacking.  Mandrake seems to put out RPMs within
>    1-2 days of the upstream developers.  There are still no Debian
>    packages for software I use regularly that's been out for > 1 month
>    (according to the debian web page package search form).
>    Example: gnucash.

GnuCash is a bad example :-)  I just this month switched to Debian from
3+ years of Red Hat and I'm quite happy with the up-to-date-ness of
packages.  Some night this week, I'll get to detailing how I went about
compiling GnuCash 1.6.4 (the latest) from source and am using it fine.
This was my only real hang-up.  The only other things I had to do from
source were Firestarter (no deb), muttprint (slightly old), SpamAssassin
(and related Perl mods -- no deb), and kbiff (no deb).

--
Justin R. Miller <incanus@codesorcery.net>
PGP/GnuPG Key ID 0xC9C40C31 (preferred)