Anyone able to help with PAM please ??

Read the HOWTO twice ... still feeling totally dumb 8-<

Situation: have a POP3 server (qpopper-4) which uses the following lines in
it's PAM config file /etc/pam.d/qpopper
auth        required        pam_unix_auth.so    shadow
account    required      pam_unix_acct.so

now the behaviour I would like is for qpopper to use a "pam_unix_auth like"
authentication but not on the system's /etc/shadow file but on another file
with dedicated userid's and password's MD5s ....

Can anyone give me an hint on how to do this ???

Thank you very much in advance. Bob Alexander