Re: apt-get sources.list question

On Monday 29 October 2001 03:18, Scott Henson wrote:
> > I'm just curious, what exactly are these files? My own mini-Debian
> > installer consists of the following files:
> >
> > base2_2.tgz
> > basecont.txt
> > drivers.tgz
> > kernel-config
> > linux
> > rescue.bin [2.88MB floppy version]
> >
> > It would help newbies with a little bandwidth to burn if somebody
> > cooks up an official Internet friendly Debian ISO image. Pop the
> > mini CD in. Tick whether you want stable, testing or unstable. And
> > voila, an up-to-date Debian system. Defenestrate those half-GB+
> > ISO's.
>
> I was wondering how you burn all of those onto a cd.  I know you cant
> copy all of those directly to cd.  I was wondering what program you
> use to burn them, and is there a Windows98 program that does
> something like this as well.  Thanks.

I haven't really used Windows lately for anything than viewing Aki's
quicktime videos. But there's a free software project, with both
binaries (some for MS) and source code, you might want to check out at:

http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/cdrecord.html

>From there you can download a copy of cdrecord and mkisofs. The unix
way of putting files onto a CDR/RW is you use (1) mkisofs to make the
filesystem you'll burn with (2) cdrecord. There are several unix/linux
GUI frontends for the two programs, but I'm not sure if they will run
under MS. The one I often use is:

http://xcdroast.org

--
Sir Isaac Newton:
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."