Re: no shell, unable to cd to /home/*

Now it works. Thanks you so much, Dave and all of you who helped me trace and find the problem. Everything is accessible again:

/home# ls -las
total 100
  4 drwxr-xr-x    6 root     root         4096 Oct 10 19:03 .
 60 drwxr-xr-x   24 root     root        57344 Oct 10 18:46 ..
 12 drwxrw----   77 avh      avh         12288 Oct  7 03:05 avh
 16 drwxr-sr-x    2 root     root        16384 May  4 02:23 lost+found
  4 drw-------    2 mcr      mcr          4096 Oct 10 22:05 mcr
  4 drw-rw----    4 avh      users        4096 Sep  2 21:44 pool

Now I still have to get the printer queue permissions right again but I will try on my own and come back only if I do not succeed.

BTW, my machine is indeed practically a single user machine with a second account for another user who is completely trusted, so the 777 permissions were created in an attempt to get rid of the permissions problem while I did not consider / as a possible source of such an issue. Well, the learning curve...

Best regards,
Andreas von Heywolff, Vienna