Re: ping works not on all sites

* Timo Blazko Boewing (blazko@online.de) wrote:
> well, actually the problem is not about ping itself. the problem ist
> that DNS resolve works (e.g. nslookup), but it is like the webserver on
> that machine won't give me data when trying with a browser.
> But I know from my friends that these machines are alive (and well).
> Even those friends who use DSL via the same provider and living near to
> me report that those sites work; it must be a local problem.
> thx,

I had a similar problem, i could almost anything, ping, ICQ, dns
lookups. BUT i could not browse, fetch pop3 mail, i could browse an
ftp but not fetch.
At that time i was using pppoe (the debian one), it suddenly stoped
working so i tried the one that my provider supplied me (it was
enternet 300), my parcial solution that i don't know how it fixed it
was downloading rp-pppoe, it just worked.
Hope this helps