Snort - syslog, docs & packages [longish]

Okay, I'm trying to get to know the pig. I've only just installed it and have done no modifications to the default install other than answer debconf's questions. I notice that my snort-monitored interface leaves promiscuous mode and enters it again five seconds later. I'm assuming this is from the "/etc/cron.daily/5snort" script (supplied by the package) issuing it's /etc/init.d/snort restart on line 28. [syslog] Is there any reason why I shouldn't add a line that sends to syslog a message about Snort restarting before the restart is given (or that it shouldn't be included by default)? I ask this because I had been using an older NIC at the external interface and it was regularly choking and dropping out of promiscuous mode and, for a while, I don't know why. Logging the restart would at least document that it was a planned mode change. [docs] I haven't delved into the docs, yet. I've got the what is supplied by snort-doc and the snort.org site. Are there any other good recommended references? [packages] Also, I notice that snort is also suffering from poor package descriptions. snort, snort-common, snort-doc, snort-mysql and snort-rules-default all seem to have the following:

 Snort is a libpcap-based packet sniffer/logger which can be used as a
 lightweight network intrusion detection system. It features rules
 based logging and can perform content searching/matching in addition
 to being used to detect a variety of other attacks and probes, such
 as buffer overflows, stealth port scans, CGI attacks, SMB probes, and
 much more. Snort has a real-time alerting capability, with alerts being
 sent to syslog, a separate "alert" file, or even to a Windows computer
 via Samba.

... which doesn't really help a newbie like me differentiate between the pieces.