modules - can't get ip

when i boot up i get the message
modprobe: Note the file etc/modules.conf is more recent than the file /lib/modules/2.4.9/modules.dep

and all the modules are not loading, this is a problem since my ethernet driver is a module, i've tried to recompile the ethernet driver to be included in the kernel but still the network config didn't work.

somehow it worked after one kernel recompile where i recompiled my ethernet driver as modules again, but on the next boot up it didn't load.
does anybody know how to fix this?