Re: OpenGL causes hard system lockups

Quoth Matthew Garman,

> I bought a Matrox Millenium g450 over the summer.  I got it setup to do
> hardware accelerated 3d with XFree 4.x.
>
> The only real 3d apps I've used are the "glxgears" test program, and the
> 3d screensavers that can be built with the xscreensaver package.
>
> Some of these 3D screensavers will unexpectedly lock up my system---and I
> mean *completely* lock up my system, can't ctrl-alt-f[1-6] to switch to a
> text console, I can't kill X with ctrl-alt-backspace, etc.  Nothing works.
>
> Obviously I don't like lockups like that, since I have to restart my
> computer without shutting down properly.
>
> Anyone know what might be causing this?  Is it likely a hardware problem?
> Anyone had any experience with this kind of thing?

I have also experienced similar problems from time to time. It seems
somewhat dependent on X version (or maybe just on the mga driver).

I have no idea what causes it, or how to fix it, but I thought it might
be worth letting you know it's probably not just flakey harware on your
part.

cheers.

damon

--
Damon Muller :: Department of Criminology :: University of Melbourne

Homicide is, no matter what else it might
be, a social relationship.
  -- Paul Bonnana