Re: bug reporting about conflicts in sid

On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 09:41:09AM -0700, Blars Blarson wrote:
> After getting sid successfully installed, I ran dselect to install the
> rest of the packages I wanted.  There are a few complaints about
> recomended packages not being available, but the only real headake was
> with olvwm.  Apparently, it requires xlib and recomends xpm4g, and
> xpm4g conflicts with xlib.

That's weird. xpm4g should indeed be forced out by something or other,
because it's obsolete with the new organization of the X packages.
However, olvwm just depends on libc6 and xlibs, and doesn't recommend
xpm4g.

Are you sure that's the problem? What *could* be the case is that you
ran 'apt-get update', but not 'dselect update' (or [U]pdate from
dselect's main menu). If you try to run dselect on a system that's been
upgraded to sid without updating its view of available packages past
potato, it will understandably get rather confused.

See the recent thread about the division between dpkg/dselect and apt
for more information.

> 3. report a bug in dselect -- it shouldn't treat "recomends" as
>    "requires" if it makes packages uninstallable.

dselect's treatment of recommends is certainly a known bug. :) It'll be
fixed in version 1.10, but I don't believe that's going to be released
until after woody freezes.

If you want a preview and are brave, you can check it out of CVS. See
http://cvs.debian.org/ for instructions: project root dpkg, module dpkg.