Re: Problem Printing

On 2001.09.17 20:00:48 -0400 Duncan Findlay wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 02:57:29PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 10:18:11PM -0400, Brian J . Dumont
> (bdumont@ameritech.net) wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm having some difficulty printing to my new printer.  I have a
> > > P2-333 based system running Debian 2.2r2, using the default
> > > 2.2.17 kernel.  I recently bought an Epson Stylus Color 777 and
> > > am trying to get it running (through the parallel port).  I have
> > > printed when booted to Win95 without problem, so I know the hardware
> > > is fine.
> >
> > Have you checked whether or not it's a WinPrinter?  I'm unfamiliar with
> > your hardware, but there are systems that are generally not usable
> under
> > GNU/Linux.
> >
> > Your best bet is to look up the device specifically on Google using
> > 'linux' as a keyword.
>
> If you hardware is compatible, chances are apsfilter will be able to help
> you out.  (I found much easier to set up than magicfilter)
>
> apt-get install apsfilter

I've checked, and I'm pretty sure it's not a Winprinter ... the
ghostscript site I found specifically says that this printer works
"perfectly" with gs.

I've also tried setting up apsfilter, which gave no errors but
didn't successfully print the test page.  The difficulty lies at a
level below lpd or apsfilter.  Regardless of whether lpd is running
I should still be able to print a text file by cat'ing it to the
device, right?

I'm wondering if it might be due to the fact that the port has no DMA
assigned.  The /proc/parport/0/hardware file is:

base:   0x378
irq:    7
dma:    none
modes:  SPP,ECP,ECPEPP,ECPPS2

I have no idea, however, how to tell it to use DMA3 ... :(

any ideas?

Thanks,
Brian

Brian J. Dumont  -  bdumont@ameritech.net